My area of research is marine ecosystem modelling and associated biogeochemical cycles, which is fundamental to the global carbon cycle and climate science.
Particular interests include:
- the dynamics of marine ecosystems, e.g., bottom-up versus top-down control;
- ocean biogeochemistry including carbon cycling, export and sequestration, and dissolved organic matter and the microbial loop;
- stoichiometry (the coupling between multiple elements), especially zooplankton and bacteria;
- model complexity and complexity science;
- the history and philosophy of science.