As part of the ongoing G7 Future of the and Seas and Oceans initiative and as sponsored by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) the NOC provides the UK G7 Marine Science Co-ordinator. The post coordinates marine observing activities between G7 countries and relevant international bodies, particularly the Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS). The UK is keen to play a leading role in a new co-ordination ‘centre’, working closely with the GOOS team at the IOC-UNESCO in Paris. The overall aim is to ensure the UK maintains a leadership role in international science and ‘soft diplomacy’ and these will be delivered by way of:
- Coordinating UK and wider G7 ocean observation activities with GOOS and other relevant international bodies.
- Coordinating and supporting broader global aims, such as the Strategic Objectives of the GOOS 2030 Strategy.
- Supporting co-ordination of UK and wider G7 investment in existing and new observational technologies for sustained observations.
- Working with GOOS to identify gaps in the global observational network, and how best to fill them.
- Identifying opportunities to develop and sustain the GOOS going forwards.
- Representing the G7 Future of the Seas and Oceans initiative at appropriate UK and international forums