Shelf-enabled Global Modelling - Workpackage of CLASS National Capability Programme - leading/coordinating sea-level modelling development within NOC
Re-energising Arrested Nonlinear Dynamics in Ocean Models (RANDOM) - Stochastic Eddy Parameterisation - PI
Selected previous projects
The UK Overturning in the Subpolar North Atlantic Program (UK-OSNAP) (OSNAP) - NERC Large Grant - Co-I
Advective Pathways of nutrients and key Ecological substances in the ARctic (APEAR) - NERC Standard Grant - Researcher Co-I
MESoscale Ocean eddies and Climate Predictions (MESO-CLIP) - NERC Standard Grant - Co-I
The Structure and Stability of Transport and Mixing Barriers within the Antarctic Circumpolar Current - NERC New Investigator Grant - sole PI
Neill Mackay : OSNAP, 2014-2018
Ollie Tooth : D.Phil., U. Oxford, 2020- (co-supervised with Helen Johnson)
Robert Fraser : D.Phil., U. Oxford, 2015-2018 (co-supervised with Laure Zanna and Matthew Palmer), "Interannual North Atlantic Sea Surface Height Dynamics and Associated Predictability"
Selected Measures of Impact/Esteem
- 2016 Editors’ Citation for Excellence in Refereeing for Geophysical Research Letters.
- NERC Impact Awards 2015 - Runner-up in the Societal Impact category.
- Invited speaker and co-chair of session, “The North Atlantic: natural variability and global change” at European Geosciences Union General Assembly, Apr. 2017, Vienna. Title: “Gulf Stream transport and mixing processes via coherent structure dynamics”
- Invited seminars: GEOMAR, Kiel, 2017; Imperial College, London, 2018; U. Oxford, 2020.
- Science Museum, London – contribution, including video interview, to permanent exhibition on ocean modelling in the new Mathematics Gallery, showing Dec. 2016 – present.
- Honorary Research Fellow, School of Environmental Sciences, Uni. Liverpool, 2006 - present.
- Member of SWOT (Surface Water, Ocean Topography satellite) Science Team, Apr. 2016 – present.
- Guest Editor of Ocean Dynamics, 2015.
- Associate editor of the Journal of Operational Oceanography, 2008-2014.
- External examiner for Ph.D. of Erik Mackie, U. Bristol, 2019.
- External examiner for D.Phil. of Sarka Tukova, U. Oxford, 2011.
- Reviewer for J. Fluid Mechanics, Geophysical Research Letters, J. Physical Oceanography, J. Climate, Ocean Modelling, J. Atmos. Sci., J. Geophysical Research, J. Oper. Oceanography., Progress in Oceanography, Scientific Reports, Ocean Dynamics.
- Book contributions: "The Story of the Scientists Who Unraveled the Mysteries of Our Oceans, Atmosphere, and Ice Sheets and Made the Planet Whole", Sarah Dry, 2019, U. Chicago Press. (Nature's "Top Ten Books of 2019"); "Ocean Dynamics and the Carbon Cycle: Principles and Mechanisms", Richard G. Williams and Michael J. Follows, 2011, Cambridge University Press.