Support Services Group
The Support Services group provides under-pinning services that enable NMFSS to operate seamlessly and efficiently, and comprises of two in-house teams. The Process Group provides software tools to safeguard our data, and keep our staff, and UK scientists informed about cruise planning as it evolves from 'initial proposal to cruise completion'. Using these tools the Logistics team have all the information needed to assemble and freight thousands of tons of equipment worldwide every year.
Efficient and accurate data is key to our ability to deliver world-class global marine research operations at sea. To achieve this we use a number of software tools that have been developed in-house by our Process Group. These have been designed to ensure that we can do the following:
- Plan our seagoing operations;
- Communicate with our research users;
- Catalogue, freight and track our equipment; and
- Provide up to date records for HM Revenue and Customs purposes.
These tools must operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and be available to staff anywhere they are in the world, while maintaining security and the integrity of the data.
With NMFSS operating on up to 10 different research vessels each year, supporting research on a global basis demands a strong logistics organisation. The Logistics team are responsible for freight operations:
- Checking against the freight lists;
- Handling of dangerous goods in accordance with current regulations;
- Packing equipment into 20 foot ISO standard containers; and
- Arranging export documentation for HM Revenue and Customs.
Likewise they are responsible for the reverse operation, when the equipment returns from a vessel.
In addtion Logistics are responsible for handling freighting of equipment and samples, to and from manufacturers or research centres. They also work on behalf of NOC receiving goods from commercial carriers and distributing these within the centre.