Infrastructure, Insurance and Re-insurance
Tackling the greatest environmental challenges to our age is central to the NOC’s mission. With a long-term focus in marine science, we can make a vital contribution in an Earth system context and, through working with others, ensure the effective translation of knowledge into societal benefit.
Alongside our partners, the NOC is addressing key science questions including the oceans’ role in climate change, predicting and simulating the behaviour of the oceans through modelling and long-term monitoring. Examples of key areas of NOC’s research that can help to inform the insurance industry include the following.
- Climate systems risk analysis – As the oceans warm, they expand, manifested in rising sea level; the oceans also increase in acidification as they absorb more carbon dioxide bringing threats to the lifecycle of organisms
- Sea level analysis – By 2050, 2 billion people will live within 100km of the coast, and coastal communities will be at increasing risk of flooding linked to rising sea level and storms; The NOC investigates causes and measures of sea level change
- Geohazard risk analysis – The NOC is building an understanding of the risks and effects of submarine volcanoes, earthquakes, flows and landslides; these events can cause destruction to communications cables, ash clouds and result in tsunami generation.
The NOC is working with the insurance industry in collaborations below.
- Increasing the understanding of marine related hazards and risks
- Providing monitoring of, and predicting variability and changes in, the natural environment
- Developing and working with advanced technologies for conducting ocean measurement and science
- Incorporating NOC science and data into industry catastrophe models.
Please contact us to discuss your specific requirements at firstname.lastname@example.org.